The ICLAS Scholarship Program for Veterinarians in Laboratory Animal Science and Medicine was founded in 2014. Since its inception, the program has provided funding for eight veterinarians in many regions of the world, particularly in areas with emerging economies where medical research is in developmental stages. For many veterinarians, the time and financial and personal cost of leaving employment and family to attend an established training program in a distant area is too big an obstacle to overcome. One option that can minimize these concerns is a program of modular, on-line classes combined with short periods of practical training in accredited programs. There are several such programs in Europe and North America. These programs are recognized by groups such as FELASA, CALAM, and ECLAM, and provide official certificates of training, or an academic degree, upon completion.
The scholarship award is for 2/3 the total costs, up to maximum of €6,000. The student or his/her employer should fund the remaining 1/3 of the costs, paying for the initial training module, to demonstrate commitment to completing the program, as well as the ability to meet the academic and language requirements.
ICLAS thanks the generous sponsors for making this education opportunity a reality for veterinarians who would not otherwise be able to obtain specialty knowledge and training in laboratory animal medicine and science. The sponsors include AAALAC, International, Charles River CHARTER Program, the Canadian Association for Laboratory Animal Science (CALAS), the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) and the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM), ICLAS additionally provides a portion of the funding.
Find additional information on candidate requirements, training programs and the application form, please refer to the ICLAS website at this link: LINK LINK
To offer scholarships to enable veterinarians who live in areas without access to training and who lack the necessary funds to complete specified training programs which meet the following criteria.
The program must:
- be affiliated with a formal institution of higher learning (university, veterinary college, training institute)
- have an on-line/modular education format
- be completed within a short time frame, i.e., 1 to 3 years
- require only a limited time spent physically at the institution offering the program or affiliated with the program to complete the practical component of the training
- provide a certificate or degree upon completion
- be recognized within the laboratory animal science community by national associations
- be designed so that completion is achievable for students currently employed in a full-time job
If your course meets these criteria and you would like your course to be considered for inclusion in the ICLAS scholarship program, please click here for an application form.
The following programs meet these criteria and have agreed to participate in the scholarship program:
- USA: Laboratory Animal Science Master’s Program, Eastern Virginia Medical School: www.evms.edu/las
- Denmark: Post graduate education for designated veterinarians according to EU criteria, University of Copenhagen: http://labveteurope.ku.dk/
- Spain: Master of Laboratory Animal Science and Welfare, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona: http://pagines.uab.cat/anilab/
- Germany: Master in Laboratory Animal Science, Aachen University: http://msc-lab-animal.com/program
Other programs that meet the criteria may be added as they come to ICLAS’s attention and with the approval of the ICLAS Governing Board.