Education and Training Committee
Resources, Courses and Programs
The mission of the ICLAS Education Committee is to promote and harmonize education and training in laboratory animal science, particularly in regions of the world where such opportunities are lacking or few.
Chair: Arvind Ingle (India) Lynn Anderson (USA) Hanna-Marja Voipio (Finland) Cory Brayton (USA) Abdelouafi Benmouloug (Algeria)
1.) Assess needs of ICLAS members with regard to education/training
- What educational activities, programs, or resources are in place or desired?
- What activities or programs or resources now in place could be assisted or expanded?
- How can ICLAS help?
2.) Strengthen Regional programs
- list the organizations by region, identify how to contact
- contact the organizations for information or with specific requests
- travel awards
- seminars at prominent meetings in the region featuring speakers recruited from ICLAS member nations
- training fellowship programs
- assist regions in promoting governmental support for laboratory animal science programs and development
3.) Provide assistance to regions for setting up training and certification programs for laboratory animal care staff/research staff/veterinary staff/laboratory animal specialists
- examples: IACLAM, ACLAM, AALAS, FELASA
- tasks performed/importance
- knowledge required/importance
- skills required/importance
- laws/regulations governing the work
- setting program objectives
- establishing institutional support
- recruiting trainers
- setting question domains
- how to write questions
- exam question bank
- setting difficulty metrics
- maintaining the bank
- exam administration
- testing methods
4.) Decide what role the Education Committee should play in promoting public education/understanding of Laboratory Animal Science
5.) Set Education Committee membership, terms